Monday, November 24, 2008

It's just not Cricket - Thank God!


Hmmmm, is it un-Australian to admit I just don’t like cricket. I blame my father. He is fanatical. Some of my earliest memories are stained with this sport. Don’t get me wrong I had fun as a kid whilst Dad played on a Saturday at the local cricket club. Mum would watch with the other wives and I was off with the kids climbing trees, beating up my poor little brother and learning how to swear!
In primary school the highlight of my life was to have sleep overs with my friends Karyn and Fleur. My cricket zealous father wouldn't let me go to these sleep overs unless I spent the day watching cricket on telly with him. Sometimes he even made my respective friends do so as well, although they were never held under duress. They could just up and go home, as they often did, feeling very sorry for me.
I am unsure why Dad did this, perhaps it was for the company. I remember hating it so much that I repelled any absorption of the game and it rules. I must have just sat there staring at the telly, lost somewhere in my mind. I still don't understand the silly game. I mean what is, 5 for 123 (is that such a thing?), a duck, and a slip. I know if you hit the ball out of the boundary it equals 6 runs I understand that LBW means Leg ,Before, Wicket, but I don’t understand the consequences of this. I just don’t care.
When we were on holidays in Brisbane, we went to watch the cricket. My Dad was so proud as he the got tickets from a scalper at a good price. How embarrassing! We sat on the Hill. I don’t recall watching one moment of cricket. We were surrounded by drunken louts having the time of their lives. They were mostly fancy dressed and very amusing. I found myself chanting along with them. Great family day out. Anyway, that was highlight of my cricket life.
When I lived in London my friend Fleur (yes my sleep over childhood friend) lived in St Johns Wood. She had the best view over Lords Cricket ground. When I visited her the first time we had a good ol' laugh about how Dad would think her apartment was cricket Nirvana.
I have even feigned interested in the sport under this misguided notion that it would impress a boyfriend. We went to Lords and watch some bloody international game England V India. I sat there pretending to know what was going on, copying the reaction of the crowd, so as to look like I understood what was going on. Pity we were sitting amongst the Indian team supporters. You’d think I’d notice that! Sad huh!
Anyhoo, the reason for the post regarding a sport I detest is, cricket season to me equals christmas. As soon as I get my first taste of a game on telly, I quickly switch channels and then sink into the comfort of the christmas feeling.
Having experienced white christmases, which were nice for the experience, nothing beats an aussie christmas.

1 comment:

Fleur said...

Lorraine - I couldn't stop laughing when I read this! I can't see anything related to cricket without thinking of your Dad! As for the stupidity of the game, I completely agree - how can you have a draw after 25 days???

Just found your blog - love it! :-)