Saturday, November 22, 2008

.....and you're under (my influence)

Today I shrugged my shoulders and pouted in an exaggerated fashion to make the point to Makenna that it was "all gone". She mimicked me in the same exaggerated manner. Eek it was like looking at my, over the top reflection. This mimicking has also made me very aware of the amount of times I say No and uh -oh, as they are repeated to me in the same style delivered to her over and over and over, throughout the day. It does make me more mindful of my parenting and the subliminal influences we have on our children.
Usually I find Coen quite easy to put to sleep. If he has a clean nappy and a belly full of milk I can lie him in his bassinet and gaze into his eyes and he in mine. His eyelids slowly drop and he is asleep. So long as I am the last thing he sees as he falls asleep. I often recite in my head, "Look into my eyes, not around the eyes, into my eyes and you're under" because it can be that easy. (Disclaimer - most days)

2 comments:

Bami said...

Please share your secrets of hypnotising babies to sleep!! :)

Clare and Costas said...

Yes please do. I have to do the complete opposite and hide. As soon as he sees my face he comes alive. I crawl past his crib !